Saturday, December 18, 2010

Kowtow to the Master

Prof Rajita Chaudhuri follow some off-beat trends like organizing make up sessions

He's made martial arts more celluloid friendly and fun than anyone else before him. it perhaps stems from the amalgamation of his rigorous training in the performing arts as well as martial arts. jackie chan, the cheeky and lovable action star, talks about his upcoming remake of the 80s hit film, 'the karate kid' which also stars jaden smith

What appealed to you about playing Mr Han in 'The Karate Kid'?

I can relate to the character of Mr Han because I have had many mentors in my life. My master at my school was one of the biggest influences on me, but there have also been many others who have shaped my life and my career. Mr Han is a complex person who has experienced much trauma in his life. He doesn't want to let anyone into his world, but Jaden's character forces him to come out of his shell. Mr Han isn't just a character in this film ' he is a combination of many people I have known in my life.

What advice did you give to Jaden Smith?

When it comes to stunt choreography, I have a lot of advice to give. On the set, I showed him how he could make his moves stronger and more powerful. I shared many stories of hardship from my life with him. I constantly reminded him that he should always appreciate all that he has because so many others in China have so little.

How good an actor is he? Does he remind you of his parents (Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith)?

He's really versatile. He can be funny and dramatic all within minutes. I think he is a natural actor. He always sounds sincere and real. Everything that comes out of his mouth sounds authentic. He's respectful, talented, hard working and charming, just like his parents.

What's the most important lesson that Mr Han teaches Dre (Jaden Smith)?

Mr Han teaches Dre that you have to respect those you love, believe in yourself and face the challenges in your life.

Who was the best teacher that you ever had ' who was your Mr Han figure?

My master was my Mr Han figure. He was the only master I had for ten years of my life. In his school, I learned how to fight with my body and weapons. I learned to sing and dance. I also learned how to do my own hair and make-up. My master was not as patient as Mr Han. He used all forms of punishment to get his point across. Have you seen the earlier films, including the original 'Karate Kid' from 1984? What did you think of it?

I have seen the earlier film and I really liked the message that it had to offer. I think everyone can relate to what it's like to be bullied and the importance of finding strength within yourself.

You've said before that Buster Keaton was a big inspiration for you. In what way?

Buster Keaton inspired me because he used physical comedy in his films. When you watched his films, you couldn't help but have a big smile on your face.

Buster performed most of his own stunts, as you do. Do you still enjoy the physical work as much as you did?

I do enjoy doing stunts, but I don't like getting hurt. I will continue to do as much as I can. I do hope that I can start to focus more on my acting and less on my stunts.

How much do you train each day when you are in between films?

I don't train that much in between films but exercise as often as I can. Exercising is good for the mind and body.

How did the stunt work in 'The Karate Kid' rate alongside some of the others you have done?

Coming up with choreography in which I am defending myself against younger children did require a lot of time and thought. I didn't want to come across as if I was bullying them. I didn't want the fight scenes with the children to be too violent and I did try to add some comedic moments.

How was it working with the director, Harald Zwart?

Harald is a talented, passionate and hard working director. He is very artistic and comes up with really powerful images in the film. He always came to the set prepared. He was very focused and knew exactly how he wanted to tell the story in every scene. He always knew what everybody was doing on the set at all times.

Does the film have a message?

I think our film has many messages. People should respect each other and themselves. People must learn to overcome obstacles in life. We all must embrace new experiences and people in our lives. Despite a traumatic experience in a person's life, they must learn to deal with it so they can move on to their future. Kung fu (martial arts) is a great way for people to learn respect, discipline, focus and empowerment. It is important to have morals and ethics in life.

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM Prof Rajita Chaudhuri's Snaps
IIPM BBA MBA Institute: Student Notice Board
Run after passion and not money, says Arindam Chaudhuri
IIPM BBA MBA B-School: Rabindranath Tagore Peace Prize To Irom Chanu Sharmila
IIPM’s Management Consulting Arm - Planman Consulting

No comments:

Post a Comment